← ArchivePolitical Reporting

Congress names 7, JMM fields BJP turncoat against Champai

four candidates respectively, in the 81-member constituency.

Ranchi | October 25, 2024 3 min read Minister Ashish Shelar slams BJP MP over remarks against Marathi people State orders probe into religious conversions, crackdown on unauthorised churches in Nandurbar BJP candidate Champai Soren. The Congress in Jharkhand released its list of seven candidates late Thursday night, denying tickets to two sitting MLAs. With this list, the Congress and its INDIA bloc partner RJD will be face to face in one constituency.

The Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) also announced the name of its Saraikela candidate Ganesh Mahli, who switched from the BJP. He will face former CM and BJP candidate Champai Soren. JMM also replaced one of its previously declared candidates from Khunti Assembly constituency. 'Not our stand': Uddhav Sena distances itself from Stalin's remark As per the initial agreement, JMM, Congress, RJD, and CPI(M-L) were supposed to field 41, 30, six and four candidates respectively, in the 81-member constituency.

However, JMM has announced its candidates in 42 seats so far and is likely to announce one more candidate from Jama Assembly. Sources said that Lois Marandi, who had defected from the BJP to the JMM, may fight from Jama seat. Congress has so far announced 28 candidates and is likely to announce its candidates in two more seats — Bokaro and Dhanbad. DM asked to explain why he ‘did not cooperate’ during Speaker Om Birla’s visit to Mussoorie Rahul Gandhi, Bihar Bandh and electoral roll revision: What is shaping Bihar politics accident: Kalyan RTO to bar vehicles failing to meet safety norms from ferrying school Christian groups protest MLA Padalkar’s alleged inflammatory In Bishrampur assembly seat Congress’ newcomer Sudhir Kumar Chandravanshi will take on RJD’s Naresh Prasad Singh.

BJP’s three-time MLA and incumbent Ramchandra Chandravanshi too is in the contest for this seat. From Dhanwar seat, JMM and ally CPI(M-L) will contest against each other. JMM has fielded Nizamuddin Ansari after CPI(M-L) fielded its candidate Raj Kumar Yadav. Incumbent MLA and BJP chief Babulal Marandi is also contesting from this ‘Have to do things the hard way’: Trump admin warns Harvard could lose The Trump administration is threatening Harvard University with loss of accreditation due to allegations of antisemitism and failure to address harassment against Jewish students.

The Department of Homeland Secur… will issue subpoenas to obtain information about the university's student visitor program. This is part of the In the 2019 elections, Ansari, contesting from Dhanwar, got less than 15,000 votes falling to sixth place. Marandi, the incumbent MLA, got over 52,000 votes and CPI(M-L)L’s Raj Kumar Yadav polled 32,245 votes. Sources in various parties said if the disagreement among INDIA bloc continues, BJP will have a ‘clear edge’ on this Meanwhile, JMM withdrew the candidature of Snehlata Kandulna and fielded Ramsurya Munda from Khunti seat.

Sources said that a section of leaders were convinced with the candidature of Kandulna. Jailed MLA Alamgir Alam’s wife Nishat Alam has been given the ticket from Pakur assembly constituency. Nishat Alam will take on AJSUP’s Azhar Islam. Both are newcomers. Alamgir was arrested by the ED on money laundering charges. From the Barhi assembly, Congress denied the ticket to former MLA Umashankar Congress leader Suresh Baitha will take on former BJP MLA Jitu Charan Ram.

BJP Samsung Galaxy Unpacked Event 2025 denied the ticket to incumbent Sammari Lal. Akela and gave it to a new candidate Arun Sahu. From Kanke seat, veteran Lal Suraj, who defected from the BJP in August, is the Congress candidate from Panki assembly constituency. He will take on the BJP’s incumbent Kushwaha Shashi Chatra’s Lok Sabha candidate KN Tripathi will be Congress candidate from Daltonganj seat.

He will take on the incumbent Alok Chaurasiya. More Premium Stories The lingua of power: English and the making of modern India Bihar electoral rolls revision — another ‘I knew they were dead…’: Survivors recall minutes after part of Gujarat bridge gave way

Originally published in The Indian Express. Reproduced here as part of the author's clips archive; rights remain with the original publication.

← Back to the archive